Los Angeles Landscape Design is Getting the Big Picture
Los Angeles landscape design tends to reflect a larger-than-life state of mind, as it is the largest city in California and the second biggest in all of the United States.
Often referred to as ‘The City of Angels’, Los Angeles truly produces LA designer trends and landscaping styles that influence the rest of the world.
From breathtaking theme gardens to magically transformed outdoor living spaces – taking a page from Los Angeles landscape design is like stepping into your own fairytale dream.
According to landscape architect John Feldman founder of Ecocentrix, ‘The quality of life is a reflection of the quality of the landscape.’
LA’s inviting climate and natural beauty make this even more true. John goes on to say, ‘It’s all about creating alluring swimming pool designs, luxurious outdoor living rooms, and vibrant garden plans that enhance the property as well as our beautiful LA lifestyle.’
Embrace the Element of Water
Water landscaping allows you to tap into the peacefulness and tranquility of your outdoor space. Incorporating fountains, ponds stocked with koi fish and Monet-style lily ponds reinforces this rather popular trend seen throughout Los Angeles in upscale cities and neighborhoods like Malibu, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Thousand Oaks, Holmby Hills, Rolling Hills, Newbury Park, Beverly Hills and Bel Air.
This trend can also be found in the Mediterranean style areas of Santa Barbara and Montecito which are to the north of L.A., Los Angeles landscape design highlights some of the leading styles for creating water-filled surroundings.
- With a hint of medieval allure, a Pacific Palisades home installed a dramatic water wall, which is either constructed to the edge of a pool or serves as a freestanding fixture in a backyard.
- Stimulate the senses with the installation of a Jacuzzi hot tub coupled with mixed landscaping elements (wood decks, natural stone, brick, decorative fencing, and flowering foliage) to heighten the appearance of a yard.
- Infinity pools use a “zero-edge” concept to produce the illusion that water is vanishing into the horizon. A growing trend is to opt for saltwater over chlorinated water to promote health and ustainability. In Brentwood, infinity pools have been situated next to spa tubs and romantic sitting areas.
- Landscape contractors blend high-quality materials with charming Los Angeles landscape designs to create fountains and waterfalls that elevate the appeal of outdoor living.
- To create a more natural looking outdoor getaway, creeks add value and visual appeal to homes with large acreage. Locales susceptible to drought can choose a dry creek bordered with rocks and plants.
Los Angeles Garden Trends
A great deal of Los Angeles landscape design takes into consideration regional delights, which have prompted landscape designers to create elaborate schemes in their landscape plans that expand upon local trends. To stir your creative juices, the following destinations provide spectacular ideas:
- Palos Verdes Peninsula: The South Coast Botanic Garden showcases more than 2,500 different plant species scattered about the Mediterranean including cactus, fuchsia, dahlia, and herb gardens.
- Beverly Hills: Browse the Virginia Robinson Gardens, which offers gems, such as the Italian Terrace, Tropical Palm, and Rose Gardens.
- San Marino: Home to the Huntington Botanical Gardens, more than 15,000 plants are on display, stretching across a collection of themed garden getaways. Situated close to San Marino, the Arboretum of Los Angeles County in Arcadia is home to 127 acres of garden inspiration that once catered to film stars, such as Bing Crosby, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Johnny ‘Tarzan’ Weissmuller.
Additional Los Angeles Landscaping Trends
Here are some other popular LA landscape design ideas used in upscale communities, such as Rancho Palos Verdes, Encino, Hidden Hills, Calabasas Park, Rolling Hills Estates, and Moorpark….
•Retractable Ceilings: Homeowners looking into Los Angeles landscape design can take advantage of the pleasant weather. Some indoor spaces have been transformed into glorious outdoor settings with the help of retractable ceilings and sunshades made of weatherproof fabric that help control light and temperature.
•Drought-Tolerant Designs: Because of the California climate, many regions are susceptible to drought, making the use of pebbles, flowering paprika yarrow, lilac verbena, red California fuchsia, deer grass, and oak trees a popular choice in LA. Water conservation is also a growing trend, where native species provide year-round color and limited water demands. Rosemary, manzanita shrubs, palo verde trees, and Russian sage also prove beneficial.
•Rock Gardens: Save water and indulge in easy maintenance with the installation of a rock garden, which creates unique outdoor features with eye-catching designs.
•Privacy Enhancers: Strategically placed gazebos, pergolas, decorative screens, walls, and planted trees and shrubs (like luscious evergreens) improves the privacy conditions of an outdoor space in a Los Angeles landscape design.