Illuminating the Night with Elegant Landscape Lighting Design
Landscape lighting design is becoming an increasingly popular component of professional landscape design for upscale homes and outdoor living spaces.
Outdoor lighting can be integrated throughout your garden using landscape lighting techniques for a functional garden area that can be enjoyed throughout the evening.
A well planned lighting design does much more for your home and garden than provide a way to see and enjoy your outdoor space in the dark.
Other benefits include:
- Safety and security – Lights are known deterrents for thefts and can also brighten pathways to prevent accidents.
- Style and beauty – Careful planning and positioning of various lighting techniques within your landscaping can accent your home and increase the visual appeal of your yard. Outdoor lighting can also add value to your property.
- Affordable cost – There are many different lighting options available for outdoor living so it is easy to find a style that complements your landscaping, as well as the style of your home, without overspending.
Landscape Lighting Design Guidelines
An effective and elegant lighting design that accentuates the finest points of your home and garden requires detailed planning and some knowledge of the various techniques and practices common to landscape lighting design.
There are a few basic guidelines you should follow for any outdoor lighting design:
• Pay close attention to the specific lighting needs of each area in your landscaping – Walkways, steps, and other obstacles should be well lit for safety. Living areas and outdoor spaces used for entertaining demand appropriate lighting that will enhance the overall atmosphere, while other areas may call for a more decorative lighting style. Having an outdoor lighting plan is a good start.
• Consider the style of your home and the overall theme of your property – Select lighting options that continue the general look and feel of your home and garden. There are a number of outdoor lighting ideas and several fixture styles and designs available.
• Try a low voltage landscape lighting design for a safer, more energy efficient outdoor space – Low voltage lighting systems are quickly replacing cumbersome high voltage designs in modern landscaping. High voltage lighting is much more costly, not to mention much more troublesome to install and maintain.
Low voltage lighting is safer for outdoor use and is resistant to natural elements like rain and cold weather. The wires and connections for a low voltage system can be installed just below the surface and offer much more flexibility in placement, fixture style, and lighting effects.
There are many other outdoor lighting design ideas that can make your outdoor living space the perfect retreat after dark and add a great deal of visual appeal to your home.
Hanging lights, tropical style torches, antique garden lanterns, and contemporary ground light fixtures can each bring their own style to your landscape design.