Landscape Design with Fountains
Water features are becoming a common trend in high-end landscape designs. Landscape design with fountains, garden ponds with waterfalls, naturally trickling streams, water gardens and other relaxing water features are not only beautiful these elegant accessories are the perfect way to ensure relaxing and peaceful outdoor spaces with a unique and personal touch. Garden fountains can be found in a variety of styles and sizes and are a key component in many landscape designs and garden styles.
There are several benefits of incorporating a fountain into your landscape design:
• The right fountain can personalize your landscape design and accent the theme of your
outdoor living area.
• The sights and sounds of running water in a fountain are serene and relaxing, not to mention the most appealing way to minimize outside sounds and distractions, like nearby traffic, in your outdoor oasis.
• The calming effect of falling water has been scientifically proven to increase levels of serotonin in the body, resulting in a better mood and an energized feeling.
• A landscape design with fountains can also improve your overall health.As your body begins to relax and take in the rhythmic sounds of the water, the effects are very similar to a massage or spa experience, reducing stress, lowering blood pressure, and slowing your pulse and rate of breathing.
• Fountains can also increase your mental alertness and concentration levels. Adding a garden fountain to your landscape design is quite simple, but requires careful selection and planning.
Determine the Best Fountain Style
Wall fountains are simple vertical structures with a small water pool at the base. These fountains typically attach to a wall or fence in the garden area and require very little space which makes it ideal for a small landscape design with fountains. This is also typically the best fountain style for yards with pets or children and is the perfect accent for Tuscan landscaping.
Pond fountains,or freestanding fountains, are much more varied, coming in many different styles, shapes, and sizes.
Bowl or urn fountains are a beautiful addition and can be customized with specialty lighting options and some freestanding fountains repeat distinct patterns and variations through the water. This type of garden fountain requires more space but can be an amazing focal point, or a simple accent, to your landscape design.
What Size Fountain is Best For Your Landscape Design?
When you landscape design with fountains the size of your fountain will depend on the overall size of your outdoor space, as well as the role the fountain plays in your design.
If the garden fountain is intended as a focal point of your landscape, for example, a large freestanding fountain that complements the design of your home is best. A fountain that accents a small water garden near a sitting area in a secluded corner of your yard may require a simple wall fountain. Most importantly, be sure your fountain is proportionate and scaled to the rest of your landscape design.
Materials for Landscape Designs With Fountains
Garden fountains are made from an array of materials. Select a material that blends with the style of your home, as well as with the rest of your landscape design.
Fountains may be constructed of:
• Cast stone is the most elegant, and the most expensive, option. Stone fountains are solid and durable with an exquisite look.
• Fiberglass fountains can be found with a cast stone finish for the fine look of cast stone at a much more affordable price.
• Resin is the most inexpensive material for your garden fountain. Resin fountains are easy to maintain and much lighter than stone, but may not be as long-lasting.
• Concrete is also a popular choice and is available in a variety of colors.
• Other common materials for garden fountains include ceramic, copper, and even wood.
Maintaining an Outdoor Fountain
A landscape design with fountains may require extra care in cold weather. Stone fountains, those made of concrete, and fiberglass fountains have the potential to freeze during the winter. A busted pipe could crack the entire fountain, making it useless. It is recommended that you completely dry out all water inside the fountain before cold weather hits.
A good alternative in cold weather regions is fiberglass fountains. They are may be light enough to carry inside for the winter.
What Will a Garden Fountain Cost?
When planning a landscape design with fountains, the cost of installing a fountain varies greatly depending on the size, style, and features of your fountain.
Small fountains and wall fountains can typically be installed with ease, but a larger fountain or one with added features may require the skills of a professional landscape contractor.